Monday, March 26, 2012

Egg-Sausage-Cheese Casserole baked in Muffin Tins


I love to eat eggs for breakfast, especially egg casserole, but I don't have time to cook eggs every morning (I have two toddlers). In the past, I've pre-made Egg Casserole on Sunday evening and then set the alarm really early on Monday morning to get up and put it in the oven so it can cook for an hour (or more)--but I need my sleep (I have two toddlers). Egg casserole is great for breakfast because we can eat it every morning. During my research for muffin tin recipes I came across a recipe for egg casserole baked in muffins tins---BRILLIANT! I don't think I will ever make egg casserole in a large dish again (unless I'm cooking for a group--maybe).
Muffin and Mini-Muffin size egg casserole

Advantages to cooking egg casserole in muffin tins:

1. Cooking it in muffin tins takes much less time (more sleep for me).
2. The casserole is neatly portioned for breakfast (and breakfast the rest of the week).
3. Leftovers can be stored easily or frozen.
4. Perfect for toddlers (who also like eggs for breakfast).

I adapted my egg casserole recipe with the one from SparkRecipes. Doing a google search for egg casserole +muffin tins will yield a number of other recipes as well.

Egg-Sausage-Cheese Casserole (no bread)

1-pound ground sausage, cooked and drained (you can do this the night before to save more time)
13 eggs
2 cups cheese
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp ground mustard

Cook and drain sausage, set aside. In large bowl, beat eggs by hand. Mix in cheese, milk, sausage and spices. Spray muffin tins and add mixture to top of each muffin slot. Cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes and then remove from muffin tins and serve.

You can cook mini-muffins for 10-12 minutes.

This recipe is versatile. You can add bread, veggies and/or substitue different meats. You can also use muffin tins to cook just eggs.

Step-By-Step Directions

1. Cook and drain Sausage.

2. Crack and beat eggs

3. Add other ingredients
4. Pour into muffin tins
5. Cook and cool
6. Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. Made these last night- they were great! Can't wait to try different variations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many did it make? Trying to plan a brunch :)

    ReplyDelete